If you're using OSX and Homebrew and are about to (or already have) upgrade to Mavericks, know that your packages won't work after the upgrade. Here's what you need to do to fix things:
$ xcode-select --install $ brew update $ brew doctor
brew doctor returns any errors, you should fix them.
$ brew upgrade
At this point, everything mostly seems to be working. I did have to manually re-install Maven:
$ brew install mvn
... I'm not sure why.
I generally have coding standards that I follow for every language I write in. For the most part, they make my code more readable and make spotting errors easier. Sometimes a business has standards that don't make sense. And sometimes, they are flat out horrible.
I'm working through some of the examples in the O'Reilly book "Hadoop: The Definitive Guide". One of the first things I noticed is that to get the data set the author uses, you must have a cluster set up using Amazon AWS. Since I don't (I've got a small cluster at home), I didn't have a way to get the data. Therefore, I've done the hard work to get all the data downloaded, transformed, and uploaded to my site so that you can avoid the hard work of tracking this down yourself.
The technology of search has grown a bit in the last two decades. We used to search for exact matches, now we search for similar and related items. This poses an interesting problem in some cultures.
For instance, recipes in America typically contain a major ingredient in the name ('au gratin potatoes', 'key lime pie', and 'curly fries' come to mind). The ones that don't are made the same way by everyone, so you can find the ingredients list easily and then use that as a basis for related searches. But in Chinese cuisine, the name isn't necessarily useful:
A petabyte here, a petabyte there... pretty soon you're talking really big storage: